This week David and I sit down with Butler University professor Brooke Kandel-Cisco to discuss teaching English as a Second Language. We talk about the standards for teaching non-native students in the US and how to dig beneath the surface on the culture of other countries, as well as what makes an excellent ESL teacher.
⇒ ⇒ ⇒ Get a free copy of the transcript here!
- What is educational psychology?
- What does it take to get licensed to teach ESL?
- The TESOL standards for English teachers
- Students learning English as a part of another class (like biology) vs. being pulled out of class to learn English
- How to dig beneath the surface of teaching culture? (critical literacy invitations)
- Assessment tests in the US
- Dr. Kandel-Cisco’s background and interest in ESL
- What makes an excellent ESL teacher?
- What role does teaching pronunciation have in K-12 education?
- What’s exciting about teaching teachers?