In this episode, I interview stroke survivor Dave Valiulis. There’s a lot to learn about mastering an accent from someone who had to relearn a language as an adult. Dave gives great tips for retraining the muscle memory and discusses important issues for non-native speakers, like how to remember vocabulary words and how to participate in a group conversation.
⇒ ⇒ ⇒ Get a free copy of the transcript here!
- How to remember words?
- What are apraxia and aphasia?
- How to work on making all the sounds in a word
- Retraining muscles to create muscle memory
- Melodic Intonation Therapy
- Motor guided learning
- How to REALLY improve (spoiler alert: time and practice)
- Video: that tricky word Squirrel! This video features Dave speaking English.
- Dave’s YouTube channel
- Dave’s article 4 Things My Aphasia Taught Me
- Rachel’s Online school, which focuses heavily on training and muscle memory