Today we do a deep-dive into the American English diphthongs. How many are there, and why doesn’t everyone agree with that number? We discuss different spellings of the diphthongs, as well as the benefits of studying mouth positions. Rachel talks about the EW as in FEW diphthong, and how sometimes it’s not a diphthong.
⇒ ⇒ ⇒ Get a free copy of the transcript here!
- What is a diphthong?
- Mouth movement in diphthongs
- No highway cowboys
- How Stoney studies mouth positions
- Benefits of studying mouth positions [link to Sounds of AmE Playlist]
- AY as in SAY diphthongs (and 11 spellings)
- American culture: don’t ask people how much they weigh.
- AI as in BUY diphthong (9 spellings)
- OW as in NOW diphthong (3 spellings)
- OH as in NO diphthong (9 spellings)
- OY as in TOY diphthong (2 spellings)
- EW as in FEW diphthong (6 spellings)